Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Daily Card 4/12/16 - Ace of Cups

I'm continuing to draw energy and inspiration from The Star and I will most likely continue to hold this card dear to me over the next month or so. That being said, I'm open to doing a daily draw as a specific aspect to focus on throughout that particular day. Today's card was the Ace of Cups.

This (like almost every single card in the Tarot Mucha deck) is a really beautiful card.

Today I pulled the Ace of Cups





I'm trying not to think of the aces as being somehow diluted or weaker than the other cards in the suits. I'm sort of stuck in the mind-frame of Kings being the strongest example of the suit, with aces being the weakest, but I think it's more accurate and more helpful to think of Aces as being in some way the purest form or the simplest, fullest form of what the suit represents. It's the introduction to the suit so it's telling you what to expect from the suit, and when you pull an Ace I think it's telling you that you are getting the true essence of what the suit represents, whereas with higher numbers and with the court cards, other factors are coming into play to alter the meaning of the suit itself. Basically I'm super intrigued by aces in general, so I'm glad I drew this card.

Cups is the suit of emotion, intuition, and spiritual energy. Water generally represents emotions and emotional connection, and I take my cue as to the meaning of the card from the way the water is portrayed. Now, there's a lot going on in this card. All of the aces in this deck have this hand poking out, almost like God's hand or a god's hand, and with cups this especially strikes me as having a spiritual or religious message. Though, perhaps I shouldn't read too much into this as it is a traditional way of illustration the aces. 

This card just makes me take a deep, calming breath. I think this card may be telling me today might be a good day to fit in 15 minutes or so of stretching/yoga to calm my mind and connect with my body. I can almost hear the gentle rushing of the fountain falling into the pool.

So, here we have a lake or a pond strewn with lily pads and lotus blossoms. Lotuses generally represent spiritual awakening and attainment, and you will find this lotus motif echoed in the borders and imagery throughout all of the cups cards in this deck. Here we have a large, still body of water. There's something very peaceful and serene about this card. So, one thing I think of is quiet reflection, serenity, and calm. The emotions here are soothing, but still powerful and deep. We have the cup up above, continuously refilling and feeding the pool, and I immediately think of a fountain. The waters from this eternal spring of emotion and intuition continually replenish our spiritual selves. It's a very hopeful and peaceful card.

An interesting element is the bird, which appears to be a dove, and I am immediately thinking of the dove of peace. The bird appears to be bringing something to the fountain, perhaps an essential ingredient. I'm definitely getting strong hints of Christianity here but I certainly wouldn't interpret it exclusively in this way. Instead, I think that what the bird is showing us is that even though we have this eternal wellspring of hope and serenity and spiritual and emotional depth within us, sometimes our spiritual experiences can be heightened and complemented by outside influences which can serve to inspire us and spark the outpouring of intuition and connection.

To me the cups are as much about connection as they are about inner spirituality and intuition. Whether it is connection to others, to our inner selves, to our work or our communities or whatever it may be, I think that the cups are about fostering deep, meaningful connections that sustain and replenish us. It's interesting to me that I think of the ace as being about connection, as that usually comes in with the next card, the two of cups. But I think this bird in the image is really pointing to the existence of forces outside of the self that are just as important to emotional and spiritual well being.

So I think that in terms of how the Ace of Cups is asking me to think about my day... well, it's a continuation of the energy of the Star in some ways. It's supporting that hope and replenishment and optimism. I think it's a little bit of encouragement letting me know that I'm on the right path. This journey into tarot has really taught me a lot about myself already and it has given me a lot of joy and excitement. The Ace of Cups may have a calmer energy, but this pool is infinite, this fountain is overflowing with emotion and intuition and spiritual energy. I think it's a sign that I should continue to be open to these forces which are currently acting in my life and I should continue to embrace the deep feelings that are springing up out of my self-investigation. On a more specific level, I think that the Ace of Cups is reminding me of the importance of community and connection as a means of spiritual renewal, as evidenced by the bird. Finally, I like how in this image the emotions are bubbling up out of the chalice exuberantly and freely, and I think it's a gentle reminder that I could do a better job of communicating my feelings, and that I shouldn't keep my emotions bottled up and contained all the time. I've been feeling a lot of stress recently and I think it's just a reminder that I can reach out to those I love and trust to express how I'm feeling, and that doing so may give me a little more serenity and calm and will replenish my energies.

On a final note, I think that this card points to where I am in my journey with tarot. As I mentioned previously, I feel like I am moving on from the Magician phase into the High Priestess phase. As I try to connect more with the mystical and intuitive side of myself to access the secrets of the tarot, I'm encountering the High Priestess. The Ace of Cups is highlighting this intuition, this spiritual side, seeking a connection to something higher and deeper.

I also want to say that I'm feeling very optimistic and energized today. I'm just generally feeling happier and more excited about engaging in the things that feed my soul. Reading, knitting, yoga, etc. I've been feeling the promptings lately to get back into yoga and this card seems to be an extension of that. Maybe when I start my yoga practice again, I'll use a tarot card to focus my intention in each session.

No comments:

Post a Comment