Friday, April 8, 2016

Thoughts on an Altar

I'm getting excited about the prospect of creating a small altar or other sacred space to enhance my journey and my practice with tarot. I don't have a lot of space in my home, and I will want to confine the altar to my bedroom specifically since I live with roommates. In the future, I'm hoping that my boyfriend and I will find a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment where we can set aside a room to serve as a space for yoga, reading, listening to music, etc. and I think that future place would be a great place to have a larger altar. But, for now, I will happily work with what I have.

I realized that I already have a space in my room that serves this purpose. On top of my bookcase I usually have candles, incense, flowers, and figurines. This space could be tidied up a bit, unnecessary items such as my knitting needles and other items could be removed, and I'd like to add some things like representatives of the four elements (fire, water, air, and earth). I'd also like to knit a sacred cloth. I have a beautiful variegated green/gray sock yarn that would be perfect for the purpose. It's machine washable and I can create a beautiful lace stole to drape over the bookcase. Done and done.

However, since the space is small and I would have to stand in front of the altar in order to use it, I don't think it would be a good space for reading the tarot. I will most likely sit on my bed and spread the cards in front of me when I do this. I think that what I will do is create a small portable altar on this beautiful tray I was given by a friend, and then I can put the tray on the bed with a few chosen items and perhaps a tea candle, and then lay the cards on the bed in front of me.

I took a lot of my ideas and inspiration on how to create an altar from this post on Rabbit Moon Tarot. I'll post pictures as soon as I set something up!

I'm feeling a strong urge for change in my life and I think I'll dedicate some time this weekend to doing a major spring cleaning. I think it'll just feel great to get rid of a lot of old things that are no longer serving me, that are just weighing things down a bit. What better way to start on this journey than by wiping the slate clean? I want to be ruthless about getting rid of stuff I don't need. For whatever reason I have a hard time getting rid of things but I think it'll be very beneficial to me to be strict about it. Tap into that Emperor energy! And incorporate the lightness of the Fool, yes? All creating a safe, sacred space to be explored and filled with new energy.

Since my new knitted cloth most likely won't be completed this weekend, I have another knitted shawl in mind that means a lot to me that would look beautiful in the meantime. 

I'll be receiving my book and cards next week. I want to be ready for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment