Sunday, April 10, 2016

First Tarot Spread

As soon as I got my cards I took some time simply to look through each one in order and I sat down with my trusty spreadsheet to record some key words and ideas about each card, especially the minor suits with which I am not very familiar. I used the LWB that came with the deck and I found it quite useful!


First Tarot Spread


After writing down some meanings, looking through the cards, and shuffling the deck around for a while, I decided to pull a really simple spread to see how it went. I decided to keep it really simple, since I don't have a great lock on what a lot of the cards mean, so I did a two card spread.


I'm grappling with how I'm doing so far on this journey and so the spread was:

1. What am I doing well so far?
2. What can I improve upon?

The first card was The World. I had to look up in the LWB what this card meant. It said that it represents the four elements, a completed cycle, and rebirth. It means one cycle coming to an end and another beginning. Step forward courageously into your new life. So, I'm doing a good job at being fearless and committing to this journey with the tarot. I'm also thinking about how I'm ending the cycle of a really bad winter and heading into a really positive and motivated spring, and also how I'm completing the cycle of my grad school years and I'm doing a good job at being ready to move forward into my career. So, in terms of my tarot journey, I think it means I'm doing a good job of letting go of my uncertainty and my previous aversion to my spiritual and intuitive side and I'm embracing my intuition and spirituality and being fearless and having an open heart.


The second card was the 2 of wands. And immediately I could sense exactly what this meant. I'm struggling with my confidence and my belief in my own ability and powers. The two of wands represents being confident in one's abilities and plans and powers and authority, and feeling ready to take on whatever challenge is coming. I think I need to let go of self-doubt.



The Fool's Journey & Tarot


On my journey through the tarot, I started out as the Fool, as I mentioned here. I really felt this past weekend like I was the Magician. I was gathering all of my tools and implements around me, I felt called to create an altar with a representation of each of the four elements, and I got ready to make my ideas a reality. As I go forward, does this mean I am going to encounter the High Priestess? I feel like I am already getting a glimpse of her, as I struggle to retain all of the information about the cards and find a sense of ease and intuition and connection with the cards. I think that she is there, enticing me closer, but at the same time she isn't going to make it easy on me.


Moving Forward


Going forward, I plan on doing a Deck Interview (care of Little Red Tarot). I don't feel quite confident enough yet to do so, and I'd like to be able to set aside a chunk of time for this. Maybe Friday night. In any event you can most likely expect a post on that within a week or so. The other night I played around with some readings for myself and my boyfriend, just to start getting a feel for things. I don't want to doubt myself too much or hold back, I feel like the best way to learn is by doing. 

Another thing I'd like to do is draw a daily card for myself and examine what it can tell me about my day. I can't promise I'll always post every day about these drawings, but I think it'll be a fun way for me to incorporate tarot into my daily life, increase my comfort level with interpreting the cards, and help me learn the meanings one card at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment